[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (Radically) revamping the early grades curriculum

Well..I have been quiet long enough on revamping the early grades
curriculum.  In Arkansas we have it made as far as changes in math. Our
state has implemented what is called Math Crusades which is a training
program for teachers with college credit. It is made possible by a grant
from NSF and others.  Teachers are trained and manipulatives, calculators,
etc are purchased so that each teacher with the training has the materials
in their classroom.  That is the most important part of the program..You
have what you need without chasing it down.

Also there is a program for K-4 grade which is part of the Crusades. These
teachers are trained in methods , etc.

We also have a science crusade program too.  Many changes are being made
in Arkansas in the math/science curriculum  It is great...

----- Daniel Ray DIALUP <dray@cencom.net> wrote: -----

There are at least one or maybe two or three programs now being published
that now go towards many of the aspects mentioned in this related post.
Also, many foreign math programs are directed in this manner.  The
problem today is to retrain our teachers which was one of the problems
with the "New Math" of the early '70's in addition to it divorced itself
from the real world ... but it was headed in the right direction.
However, re-training of our teachers is now a bigger problem. The one
program that I am familiar with is however, doing very well.  I believe
it was one of the top 15 fastest growing companies (of all companies) in
the U.S. in 1994.  So, we have programs to meet this need but we need
more teachers who are willing to utilize it.