[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (Radically) revamping the early grades curriculum

>Okay, since you poor well-meaning people have all mailed me expressing
>interest in this, I guess I have to start actually putting it together.
>Here's at least a first approximation.  This being only an approximation to
>an approximation, I am sure that we will all treat is as such and point out
>its strengths and weaknesses (those won't need to much pointing out) rather
>than saying something obvious like "this won't work", which is almost
>always true and almost always irrelevant about first approximtions.
>
>Perhaps I should start out with some weaknesses I see:
>
>1.  Stakeholders (school board, parents, community and business leaders)
>are going to rebel.
>
>2.  Many teachers are not going to be happy with it--it will be a lot
>harder, in some sense than explaining a bunch of rote procedures.
>
>3.  Standardized tests are just going to have to change.
>
>Many of you should probably read no further--if your blood is already
>boiling at these statements, you'll have an ulcer by the end of this post.
>
>Okay, now, assuming that the faint-hearted (read "sensible") have stopped
>reading, here it comes.
>
>(Previously referred to as "How I would change mathematics education (if
>the schools were foolish enough to listen to me")  This just deals with the
>early grades, at this point.
>
>The basic plan would be to restructure the early grades mathematics courses
>completely.  The motivating idea in these grades is going to be reasoning
>abilities and problem solving.  Kids are naturally perceptive, inquisitive,
>and creative, and nearly every advance that has ever been made in
>mathematics has been a result of applying these qualities (which, in the
>current system, essentially have to be re-learned in graduate school).
>Teaching meaningless (to them) procedures at this age at best completely
>fails to make use of these attributes, and at worst stunts them.
>
>I am not necessarily saying that arithmetic should be avoided, but that it
>should only be taught where it comes up as a useful means of solving a
>problem.  Kids always want to know why they are learning what they are
>learning, and there's usually not much to tell them when it comes to things
>like long division or even subtraction.  We often respond to this by coming
>up with real world problems that use these skills, but even then we are
>bending over backwards, since we came up with the application in order to
>motivate the teaching of a procedure that we had other motivations for
>teaching (like "It's on the standardized test.").
>
>Instead of teaching unmotivated subjects, math could be an activity (and
>reflection) time.  The activities would be chosen from various areas of
>mathematics, but motivated in ways that make sense to kids.
>
>Here's an example from graph theory, due to Mike Fellows and Nancy Casey.
>
>Draw a graph (network) on the floor in masking tape, and tell the kids that
> [...]

Hello Michael..Last year I attended the Matha nd Technology coference in
Exeter NH and what you are talking about was discussed there too i.e where
possible, identify the problem first and THEN identify the mathematics that
is necessary to solve it...Am I understanding you correctly?

TTYL

PS What is the shodor Ed Fdn ?