Teachers will need:
- Focus and Review
- Hand out a blank map of the United States (or another
- Give each student 4 markers/crayons.
- Let the students experiment with coloring the graph with only those
- Before the students begin coloring, inform them that no state can
have the same color as its neighbors.
Students will learn about the Four Color theorm and make real world connections.
- Guided Practice
- Teacher Input
- If you didn't already, go into more detail about Chromatic Number
and the Four Color Theorm.
- Independent Practice
- Discuss some of the coloring schemes students used.
- Discuss methods that the students used to successfully color the
houses and sidewalks.
- Talk about real world applications of graph coloring.